I need help paying my bill

Struggling to stay ahead of your utility bills and not sure about your options? Want help paying for home improvements?

Get Help Paying Your Utility Bill

The Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP) makes energy costs more affordable, prevents the loss of home energy service, and helps restore interrupted service.

There are various types of assistance programs available to customers:

  • If you need help paying heating bills: You may qualify for the Maryland Energy Assistance Program (MEAP)
    • This program helps eligible families with the cost of heating.
    • Payments are made to the fuel supplier and utility company on the customer’s behalf.
  • If you are in danger of having your utility turned off:  You may qualify for the Utility Service Protection Program (USPP)
    • This program is available to ALL MEAP participants.
    • This program provides access to an even monthly payment program and protection from service disconnection.
    • Participation in this program also requires a year-round even monthly budget billing.
  • If you need help paying electricity bills: You may qualify for the Electric Universal Service Program (EUSP)
    • This program helps low-income electric customers pay their electric bills.
    • Eligible customers receive help that pays a portion of their current electric bills.
    • Customers who receive EUSP are placed on a budget billing plan with their electricity company.
  • If you need help paying overdue bills: You may qualify for the Arrearage Retirement Assistance
    • This program helps customers with large, past due electric and gas bills.
    • Eligible customers with a past due bill of $300 or greater may receive a grant amount up to $2000 once every seven years paid directly to their energy utility company.

Apply for all utility assistance programs HERE.

You can also request a Home Energy Program application:

  • By phone, 240-777-4450
  • Download it in English or Spanish
  • Pick up, mail or deliver completed applications to Office of Home Energy Programs, 1301 Piccard Drive, 1st Floor, Rockville, MD 20850
  • Document drop-off boxes are also located at each of Montgomery County’s  housing stabilization offices.

Get help filling out the application by watching the video below:

Back to Top 
Sign Up For Regular Monthly Payments

Budget Billing and Customer Affordability Programs are tools that utility companies provide to help spread out annual energy and water bills into even monthly payments. This helps you avoid spikes in your energy bill caused by seasonal fluctuations and unusual utility usage.

If you need to make your bills more consistent, visit your utility company’s Budget Billing page for more complete details about the program specific to you:

Back to Top 
Lower Your Energy Use with Home Repairs

One way to lower your energy costs and make your home more comfortable is by participating in one of these programs that provide energy efficiency upgrades.

1. Montgomery County Energy Efficiency Program

    • This is an income-qualifying, FREE program for Pepco customers.
    • This program provides various energy efficiency upgrades including: attic insulation, water heater replacement, programmable thermostat, appliance upgrades and other measures.

2. Maryland Weatherization Assistance Program

    • This is an income-qualifying, FREE program for all Maryland residents.
    • This program ​provides repairs and upgrades to a home that can significantly lower your energy use throughout the year.
Back to Top 
Program Finder

Sorry, you have either left some fields blank or entered something incorrectly. Please check.

If your utility costs are included in your housing bill, click here

Stay connected to receive monthly energy saving tips and the latest information from Montgomery Energy Connection